This is a video that highlights the importance of having parts or components orientated to the World Origin. If you are ever getting strange measurements in your drawing sheet it may be that your part is out of orientation. This video also covers creating 'Custom' Views within DesignSpark Mechanical. Note that the ANSYS SpaceClaim software is used for the demo but the interface is nearly the same as DSM.
Written steps to align object's face flat with the drawing sheet:
1. Convert the object to a component.
2. Open the component.
3. Highlight a face > select Plan View. This squares up the face.
4. In the Views tab > Create a new view of that plan view.
5. File>Open>New Drawing Sheet.
In the Drawing Sheet:
1. Drag in a General View.
2. Change it's view to the saved plan view.